Thursday, April 14, 2011

Things to think about on a Fabulous Friday afternoon.

1. Cute scottie dogs - I purchased a whole pile of these of paper pictures of kittens, cute scotties and scottish slogans from the Japan Christchurch fundraising Fair. I think there are 10 and I paid 50 cents. They are not cards or letters more like labels or something. I do not know how old they are but the painting style is definitely retro! Some of the kittens and puppies have extra big eyes which seems to have been a style feature of art from 1970s. Yes reader, that is my trusty Compaq laptop at the bottom - I rested the pictures against the screen so I could take a decent photo.

I was thinking I might turn them into a cute bag or box! How will you do that I hear you ask. Well, with the help of a hole punch and laminator I am going to make panels and then I am going to crochet them together with some really awesome string, or thread or cotton. My mother in law had a gorgouse hexagonal box we used for the Scrabble Tiles made from old birthday cards in this manner.



2. I love peonies. I think they are the most over-the-top fabulous flowers, and if I were to get married again (to Mr H ofcourse!) I would choose the wedding date based purely on the availability of peonies. This fabric was found carefully folded at the bottom of the box in the Butterflies Shop ($5) There is about 2 or 3 meters of this lovely cotton which had the original receipt tucked inside it and has clearly never been opened out and even looked at. I think the receipt said $25 which in those days was a LOT of $. I estimate it as being from the very late 1960s or early 1970s. I am thinking about making a 1970s maxi skirt. NZ changed to decimal currency in 1967 (July).


3. I follow Male Pattern Boldness but I have not partaken in the jeans or shirt sew along. I have however been inspired to make something for my husband in the near future and when I saw this fabulous pattern at the Japan CHCH fair for $1, I knew it was perfect for Mr H. As an added bonus it includes the transfer to do the stitching across the shoulders and pocket - a large shining sun!!!

4. If I made trousers / pants for myself - or should I type when I make pants for myself (possibley from the grey wool purchased from the St V de P recently ($5)) I particularly like this pattern because it has a range of leg lengths and BOTH a waistband option and without.

5. The piece de resistance dear Readers, is this vision of loveliness from the 1970s for the man in your life. Or perhaps the man who was in your life but when presented with this stretch singlet ran a mile in the other direction. Or perhaps a man in your life who has a great sense of humour. Not for the man with a beer gut. Dear Reader please tell me, honestly, would you really use this pattern? It is without a doubt, one of the worst I have ever seen.

1 comment:

  1. I have laughed a lot with the last boss, "Not for the man with a beer belly. " LOL. My imagination took flight, ha, ha.
    I can not wait to see what you "invented"with the first. Please, photos, photos ...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback and comments from readers!