Sunday, September 5, 2010

In support of my fellow South Islanders

After the weekend faced by my fellow South Islanders in Canterbury and the Westcoast, I feel like a bit of a fraud posting about my thrifting exploits. A major earthquake and a serious plane crash are life changing events for those involved.

The social organisations which are dealing with the aftermath of trauma and damage rely on the goodwill of others for donations of money, goods and services. From this distance there is little I can do other than phone my sister regularly to make sure she is okay, and use Facebook to keep in touch with friends. I can however, continue to support Presbyterian Support, Red Cross, and the Salvation Army and other charities by donating my unwanted clothes and goods, and purchasing items. This feels like such a meagre contribution, but it is better than nothing at all.

My hoped-for op-shopping trip to Christchurch is now cancelled. I had hoped to shop-until-I-drop and come home with bags of bargains, and update my readers and A Cat of Impossible Colour on the status of shops, but that all feels quite shallow and selfish now. My wants really do pale in comparison to the needs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback and comments from readers!