Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The end of an era...


This morning I woke up to the news that Elizabeth Taylor is dead. She is the actress I have heard so much about - yes I confess from women's magazines - and yet, only ever watched one of her films. In the decade before I was born her film career was at its height, and yet she seems to have gained more fame for being married to seven men, friends with Michael Jackson, wanting to be cryogenically frozen or whatever the gossip rags have published.
When I think of Elizabeth Taylor, I think of National Velvet (one of my mother's favourites, as a horse lover), and Cleopatra - exotic, sexual, powerful, beautiful temptress and because I love Egyptian history, I also think of jewellry but most of all I think of her relationship with Richard BurtonHow intense and powerful it must be to love a man, fall out of love, divorce him and then rediscover him, love him and marry him again?

2 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning - 24th March 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading other blogs about this star makes me realise that a bit of shine has gone from the world. My daughter and I spent a happy half hour looking at Elizabeth Taylor jewellry on line last night - her taste in jewellry was exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback and comments from readers!