Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekend report

Well, I hope you all had a good weekend - I'm glad I went to work today, I needed a rest!!!  The weekend was so busy getting my 10yo ready for her first school camp that I did not have any time for blogging and only a little bit of time for reading blogs.

Remember last week I told you I was trying to wear different combinations of clothes?  I think I wore skirts most days with different tops.  Here is a photo of me wearing the dragon skirt with my treasured Vivienne Westwood tee shirt which was one of my last full price purchases in clothing:

 I teamed it up with a brown belt and brown boots - both thrifted.  The tee shirt is my last white one and to my disappointment it has got a bit marked on the inside front collar from perfume or something similar.  Anyway, I wouldn't normally wear tee shirts to work because most of mine are not in good enough condition but I did wear one with a deer on it later that week:

 Not a great photo of the teeshirt - it was on the sale rack at the Warehouse one time I went in to get something for my daughter and as it has a deer on it, and I love deer, I had to have it.  It was priced at something silly like $4.97

I am wearing it with one of the skirts I bought from Sababa in Ashburton when we were there over Christmas for my father-in-law's funeral.  It might seem strange that I went shopping while I was there, but traditionally when I visited my parents in law it would be a holiday weekend and there would be lots of sales on, like Mothers Day, or any excuse sale day.  So for me it was perfectly normal to go shopping.  I went to lots of shops with my sister in law and her daughter and we had lots of fun.  But it wasn't until we were about to leave that I found Sababa.  I was immediately attracted to the colourful fabrics - this skirt is made from recycled sari material and is made of rayon.  It shimmers beautifully in the sunlight.  Anyway, there is a teeny tiny miniscule flaw in in (somewhere) and for that reason it was $20 rather than $50.

I am going to a wedding this weekend in Marlborough at a vineyard.  I though I had my outfit all sorted, but when I tried it on I changed my mind.  Below is a picture of me wearing the purple and brown Bendon sundress I scored a couple of weeks ago from the Hospice Shop.  I paired it up with a wide silver waist belt and a silvery grey wrap.  It looks okay, but I decided against wearing it to the wedding.


 Instead I am going to wear this:


I managed to squeeze in a visit to Savemart with the hope of finding something to accompany the green lurex number above.  I found a plain black straw hat (MIC) for $3 which I immediately imagined glammed up with some kind of orange or green flower thing, that I hoped I could just make from stuff in my sewing box.  At the counter to my delight and surprise I saw this orange wooden bead choker below for $3 which is perfect for highlighting the orange in the dress.  The two bracelets were an impulse buy in some ways, I have heaps of bracelets but the fact that they have flowers and are stretchy and plasticy appealed to me. Besides, they were only $2 each!



Late on Sunday afternoon while my 10yo watched Hotel for Dogs and chilled out, I got out my button box and some felt and made a "decoration" for my hat:


I sewed the buttons on a piece of felt first and trimmed away the excess afterwards.  Inspired by this I then crotched up another bracelet and adorned it with more orange buttons with a yellow centre piece:


Here is the finished hat:

I will make sure I get some photos from the wedding so you can see what the whole ensemble looks like.    Did you make anything in the weekend?

5 comments:

  1. I love the long skirt with the deer T shirt. I am sure you will look fabulous at the wedding. Looking forward to seeing pics of the whole outfit put together. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those teeshirts with the skirts, both look fabulous. Your cat's a handsome beast! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of the skirts, and the dress you decided on for the wedding looks beautiful.
    Nice work on the hat too!
    Cats just love to get in on the blogging action, don't they?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on the hat! And nice work with the cat too! Love the bangles, very oriental.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hat, and you know how much I love button things! Can't wait to see wedding photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback and comments from readers!